Thursday, September 6, 2012

Stephen H. Henderson - Tennessee

Picture above: William Henderson (1886-1917)

The name Henderson, is an old and popular surname.  It is Scottish and there are a lot of famous people with the name Henderson.

For example, Daniel Boone and Richard Henderson ... When I was a kid, my grandmother told me that one of our Henderson's knew Daniel Boone. I thought she was kidding around.. .until I did my research that a Henderson did know a Boone.

But because that is in the history books, I can't prove that my family comes from that line.

Here is the problem. Ancestry.com, is a good place to do your research but also a bad place because people copy other people's family tree, not knowing they are right or wrong because some of the people listed, there are no documents for!

So I am going to talk about my line of Henderson's.. the ones that come from Grainger County, Tennessee.

When I was a kid, my great-grandmother, Rachel had an old picture hanging up in her room. I asked who he was and she said it was her father, William Henderson (pictured above). She said she didn't know him because he died young.... but she carried his picture around because, he was a good man.

I was told he was a Baptist Minister in Knoxville, Tenn, where my great-grandmother was born. Now, what do I know about William Henderson?
Here is the tree starting from my great grandmother:

Rachel S. Henderson (1913-2001)
Her father:
William Henderson (1886-1917) - Married Martha Sandifer (her father was Rev. Floyd Sandifer and Lucy Jones) - I heard he was a Baptist Minister.
His father:
Thomas Richard Henderson (1848-1864), he married Rachel Williams

Thomas' father:

Stephen H. Henderson (1805-1864) - married to : Caroline Phillips B: 1825 : Marriage: Grainger County, Tennessee

and this is where it gets confusing. Every single line out there has Stephen's father listed as George Henderson.
Where is the proof? I have yet to find any paper trail evidence that this is Stephen's father.

Further noting, Stephen died during the Civil War. There, from my research, are two Stephen H. Hendersons. One was in the 44th regiment and was a Colonel... and the other was: 137 Ills Inf - Died. 8th August 1864 and he is listed as private.

But one of them is buried in Memphis National Cemetery.

So who is my Stephen?

And for Stephen's parents it is listed as:
George Henderson: (abt 1785  Virginia - D 30 June 1862 - Missouri)
married to: Nancy Larimore

Please someone out there help me.
if it helps, Thomas Henderson's children are the following:

Richard Henderson- 1870
Stephen Thomas Henderson- 1873-1933
Caroline Henderson - 1877-1947
Martha Henderson - 1877
Effy Henderson - 1879
Mary Henderson - 1880
William Henderson0 186-1917
Cary Henderosn - 1889-
Rudy Henderson- 1890-

So if someone out there can show me document proof that Stephen's father is George or even someone else , please help me.

Also, Richard and William are buried at Heltonville Cemetery. In Tennessee. Grainger County.

please contact me at @ americaneuropegenealogy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment