Sunday, September 30, 2012

Family History Complied by Lucy Henderson Horton"- Wrong Henderson Information

So as I am doing my research about the Henderson's of Grainger, TN, I realized there is a lot of information out on the internet - - - a lot of wrong information and I feel it is because of books written in the early 1900s. The book is   "Family History Complied by Lucy Henderson Horton" .

A lot of people use her book as the main source for the Henderson's of Colonial America and as some have told me, not all is accurate only because of the surname: Henderson being popular.

Thanks to fires, wars, and people keeping family secrets and unmarked graves, there is a lot of information that has been lost and may not be found... not unless we dig up the graves and take a DNA sample. Okay kidding. And disgusting thought

So with that said and done, I have figured something out that I will not tell you the answer to what I am talking about because it will be in the book I am writing. Yes folks, a book that I researched information, found information and I think I have put the links between Hawkins County and Grainger County Henderson's and Jefferson County Henderson's together. Oh and Kentucky Henderson's. I think this 'theory' that I am proving right now as ye olde documents and 'translate' them into modern English is something that hasn't been thought of SIMPLY because the information wasn't there!

But this is what I will talk about.

(p. 219)
Children of Samuel Henderson (1700-1783) and wife Elizabeth Williams:
Mary
Judge Richard Henderson, president of the Transylvania Company
Nathaniel
Elizabeth
Ann
Susan
John
William
Samuel
Thomas
Pleasant

The William did die in S.C. But notice the Samuel, Thomas, Pleasant and Nathaniel. I have seen them in Hawkins and Grainger. There is a reason but again, I will share the answer with my book that I am currently writing.

The author I mentioned above touches on the names but that is it. Only a few because of the documents that were available at the time. In fact one thing I can say that I found wrong in her book is on page.


page 232 :
            William, son of Samuel Henderson (1700-1783) and his wife, Elizabeth Williams, was born in Granville County, N.C. March 5th, 1748; married the widow Nelson of Nelson's Ferry, on Sante Lo. C.; died in 1787. William Henderson shared his restless spirit of the day and in early life went to South Carolina to live, where he had relatives by the name of Transylvanian. he served during the Revolutionary war from this state, being in several battles, among them that of Eutaw Spring.

Later in life, he removed with his family to Tennessee, settling near Dandridge. Children:
Betsy H. Taylor- Moved to Attekapas. Was living in 1834
Ethelred Henderson - moved to Grainger in 1834
John Henderson - who lived near Dandrige, Tn
and yes, there are other children we do not know.

But I like this part: Ethelred Henderson, son of William Henderson b. 1748, son of Samuel Henderson (1700-1783) and his wife Liz Williams, was born in Jefferson County, TN - WRONG. And he then moved to Grainger when he was an adult. So far WRONG.
Wrong, why?

For starters, Jefferson County, TN became a county on June 11th 1792. Also I haven't seen any documents to prove a Ethelred lived in Grainger. Only because my direct line lived and died in Grainger until my great-great-grandfather moved to Knoxville and had kids, as well as his sister who moved to Clairborne, TN.

Do I think the author was 100% wrong on the information she wrote on the Henderson's ? no. I think she got things mixed up. Remember she wrote this in the super duper early 1900s (1902) so the information that she had, was probably verbal. I doubt she went to Grainger and knocked on my family's door or other peoples families doors and said "yo, so which Henderson are you related to?"


Someone told me that she got things mixed up, that "according to the Archibald Henderson Papers on the Henderson family located in the Wilson Library on the NC Campus in Chapel Hill, NC.  He discusses Lucy Horton's book and how mixed up she was."

and that is the problem we have. There is so much information and yet lack of information that things can easily get mixed up. And thanks to ancestry.com, getting that information you want. .who you are related to can be almost 100% wrong because people copy each others tree's. "oh I have a leaf, I know I am related to that person". But what proof?

that is my point of my blog that I am putting into a book. The proof. Who is right and who is wrong?

Also noting: Not every Henderson is documented (duh like my family lol) so back in the day, a William Henderson, for example, could have had 14 kids, 10 being boys and four being girls. And only 5 were documented because the rest either died or moved counties or were up in the mountains (and if you drive in Kentucky and Tennessee, off the beaten path, talking with 'mountain people' (and I can joke about it because I have cousins in both states who live in the mountains), you can see, even in today's eyes, finding a house is hard as heck.

even the land my grandpa, he was a Bunch from Williamsburg, KY,  the land in Dal, KY we still own it since the 1830s, a piece of it, but each time I drive through the narrow one-sided road, on the side of a mountain, I think "geez, how the hell did people not get lost here?"


No comments:

Post a Comment