Monday, October 1, 2012

a little thought about researching....

People have been trying to figure out a connection between one person in their family with another family.

One woman I spoke with in Hawkin's county said to me "For years I tried to find a connection between Hawkin's County Henderson's and Grainger County Henderson's and I had to give up because I just couldn't. And you probably can't".

But that didn't stop me from trying to research the information. I have a BA in history and I love to do historical research, it is a hobby of mine so I decided that I would finally put my degree in use lol.

What do teachers usually tell you?
1. get out a notebook (i.e. this website)
2. get research things. books, maps, etc.. do not use Wikipedia as your source.
3. look at OLD books and old land deeds and Wills...
4. look at the history behind the counties and states. Look at old documents.
5. try to put two and two together.
6. make a presnetation.

okay they don't tell you that. But that is what I do. like my grandma told me, 'never stop learning'. And it is always good to want to know something. .and to keep asking questions.

If one person said "stop looking", that is going to make you work harder to solve the riddle. The answer is always in front of your face and yet it isn't.
Meaning: One person would say "oh that is wrong, you are jumping to conclusions" while another person would say "just let me test out my theory. I am seeing it a different way"

Because sometimes a fresh pair of eyes will see something you didn't see before. So far, I have figured out a few errors from Lucy Henderson Horton's book as well as something that Dr. Archibald Henderson said as an error. But to prove my theory  I need evidence and I am sure there is something out there that wasn't before.

1 comment:

  1. Have you found a link with Greene county Illinois around the 1830s Hendersons?

    ReplyDelete