Friday, September 7, 2012

We Have a Clue about Stephen H. Henderson!



There is a clue. Yes a clue. Seems that the computer aka Scooby Doo has helped heaps on this one!

As I said in my previous post, there are two Stephen H. Henderson.

One is:
Colonel Stephen H. Henderson who was in the 44th Infantry during the Civil War:
THE FORTY-FOURTH INFANTRY
consisting of eight hundred and sixty-seven men, assembled at Davenport on the 1st of June and was organized by the appointment of the following officers: Colonel Stephen H. Henderson, Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Egbert, Major Josiah Hopkins.

Another clue that there were two. If mine was still alive in 1880, why was there one who died on 9 September 9th 1864???

"Stephen H. Henderson. Age 35. Residence LeClaire, nativity Tennessee. Appointed Colonel on May 25th, 1864. Mustered June 1st, 1864. Mustered out on Sept. 15th, 1864. Mustered June 1st, 1864. Mustered out on Sept. 15th, 1864. Davenport, Iowa, expiration of term of service: Source: Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War with the Rebellion.


Conclusion there were two. Why was the "H" so popular? for Stephen's middle name? What did the 'H' stand for?

This means that every single record on ancestry.com that connects Thomas Henderson to Stephen H. Henderson is 100% wrong. Maybe 2% have it correct.

Also , my Stephen H. Henderson, when I did the math, he was born approx. 1809. If it was 1864, he would have been 55 years old. So I doubt he even joined the Civil War.

So am I back to square 1 ? no. Because another clue popped up on the 1880 census:
Father's Birthplace: Virginia
Mother's Birthplace: Tennessee
eureka!  An we know all about a George Henderson (1785 – 1860) born in Virginia to a James Henderson (1755 – 1850) who married Prudence Campbell (1757 – 1850).

But one problem. In an earlier census record for Stephen. H. Henderson it lists him being born in TN. That could very well be since George married Nancy in Grainger, TN.. but so far there is no birth record... yet..... that is the key. I need either a death record or a birth record to prove the link.

Now where is Stephen buried? I am guessing next to his kids.
More information will be added when I find more clues!
p.s. thanks for : http://tnhendersons.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index.html for helping me with the early census records!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Im Wade Henderson, Stephen H Henderson is my great x4 grandfather..Im trying to learn more about my family tree. Please let me know if you find any more info. Thanks fam 💯❤🙏

    ReplyDelete